Struggling with finding the perfect single DIN head unit for your car? Look no further! In this blog, we’ve gathered the 6 best and most powerful single DIN head units of 2024.
From budget-friendly options to high-end models, we’ll cover all types to radios for your specific needs. With over a decade of experience in the automotive industry, we’ve helped numerous car owners upgrade their audio systems.
As we personally tested these head units in various vehicles, you can trust our recommendations to enhance your driving experience. So let’s dive into our top picks and find the perfect single DIN head unit for you!
Best Single DIN Head Unit – Tested and Reviewed
- Our Top 6 Picks
- #1. Sony DSX-GS80 – Most Powerful Single DIN Head Unit
- #2. Pioneer AVH-3500 NEX – Best Single DIN Touchscreen Car Stereo
- #3. Alpine CDE-172BT – Best Budget Single DIN Head Unit for Sound Quality
- #4. Sony DSX-A410BT – Best Mechless Single DIN Stereo
- #5. Alpine UTE-73BT Advanced Bluetooth Digital Media Receiver
- #6. BOSS Audio 616UAB – Cheapest Single DIN Radio
- Things to Consider Before Buying Single DIN Head Unit
- What is a single DIN head unit?
- What features are most important in a single DIN head unit?
- What kind of audio formats do single DIN head units support?
- What is a good budget for a single DIN head unit?
- Can I install a single DIN head unit myself?
- What tools do I need to install a single DIN head unit?
- Do I need to buy a wiring harness for my car?
- Bottom Line
#1. Sony DSX-GS80 – Most Powerful Single DIN Head Unit
The Sony DSX-GS80 is the most powerful single DIN car stereo in 2024, boasting an impressive peak power output of 100W x 4 and a continuous power output of 20W x 4 which is significantly higher than many other single DIN car stereos on the market, ensuring crisp and clear audio even at high volumes.
In addition to its power, the DSX-GS80 also has a number of other features that make it a great choice for audiophiles, including:
- A 10-band equalizer with 10 presets
- FLAC file compatibility
- Dual Bluetooth Connection
- High-pass and low-pass filters
- 3-way crossover
- DSO staging technology
- The sound quality is excellent, with clear highs and deep bass
- Lots of features to customize the sound
- The unit also has a large, bright display that is easy to read.
- Installation of this head unit is quite simple
- Wireless music streaming and hands free calling works great
- Great design and good build quality.
- Bit Expensive than other car stereos
- Not a multi-line display
- Impressive Display – With a vibrant, colorful display that syncs up with the beat of your music, this head unit is sure to give you a unique and fun experience while on the road.
- Built-in High Power Amplifier – This powerful head unit packs a whopping 4 x 100 Watts power and RMS of 4 x 45 Watts, making it more than capable of driving a subwoofer and full car speaker system simultaneously. And because it’s been optimized for excellence, you can expect clear, interference-free audio at any volume.
- Numerous Settings to Control the Sound Quality – This great head unit lets you easily control volume, balance, fader, and EQ settings from your smartphone with the Sony Music Center app. You can also use the app to customize your sound settings for even more control over your car audio experience. And with the Advanced Car Audio Setting plug-in, you can really dial in the perfect sound for your car.
- Voice control for Android – The built-in voice control feature gives you easy access to directions, messages, and your favorite tunes – all without ever having to take your hands off the wheel. Finally, the precision power block placement and high-quality components ensure that you’ll enjoy superior sound quality no matter where you go.
- Built-in Dynamic Stage Organizer – Thanks to Dynamic Stage Organizer technology, your music will sound like it’s coming from right in front of you, creating a virtual speaker system that will make every journey more enjoyable. And with three 5 V pre-outs, you can easily expand your system by adding external amplifiers and speakers. Whether you’re hitting the open road or stuck in traffic, the Sony DSX-GS80 Single DIN Head Unit will make sure you enjoy the ride.
- Rock Solid Bluetooth Connection – It can pair with one Bluetooth phone for access to navigation, music playback, and communication features. You can also connect a second phone for making and receiving hands-free calls. Plus, you’ll enjoy helpful smartphone features without taking your eyes off the road. The voice control feature lets you manage music, get real-time directions, and communicate with contacts—all via simple spoken commands. And the USB input lets you play music from your iPhone or iPod.
Verdict: Overall its a great head unit. It offers awesome sound quality, easy-to-use controls, and a sleek design. Although its little expensive than other head units but we believe its worth every penny.
Related Article: 13 Best Single Din Touchscreen Head Unit & Stereos
#2. Pioneer AVH-3500 NEX – Best Single DIN Touchscreen Car Stereo
This is a premium single DIN head unit which is perfect for those who needs a large touchscreen with latest features like CarPlay, Android Auto. and compatibility with HD backup camera and Parking Assist Guidelines.
- Responsive Touchscreen Display
- Suppport Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Compatible with Backup Camera as well as Parking Assist Guidelines
- Takes less time to start
- Works with all iPhones and latest Android phones
- Bit Expensive
- Not Compatible with iDataLink Maestro
- Lacks HDMI slot
- 6.94″ Flip Out Touchscreen Display – This powerful head unit features a 6.94″ touchscreen display that is highly responsive and easy to use. You’ll be able to control all your music and navigation from one central location, and the intuitive user interface makes it easy to find what you’re looking for.
- Support Voice Control – This multimedia receiver offers a wealth of features and capabilities, all controllable by voice. With Vozsis and Weblink, you can easily add Alexa functionality to any compatible Pioneer in-dash receiver. Just tap and ask – Alexa will respond instantly, even while you’re on the go.
- Compatible with iPhone/Android – The AVH-3500 NEX is the perfect solution for drivers who want a car stereo with all the latest features. It features Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, which gives you access to useful information and organizes it into simple cards that appear when they’re needed. This allows you to focus on the road ahead while keeping your favorite music or podcast playing in the background.
- Bluetooth Supported – This powerful car stereo features built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and wireless audio streaming, making it easy to access your music and calls without ever having to take your eyes off the road.
- Great Sound Quality – The AVH-3500 NEX is the perfect way to bring Pandora into your car. With great audio quality and a responsive touchscreen display, you’ll be able to enjoy your favorite new and old music alike while on the go. Easily thumbs up or down songs, bookmark tracks for purchase, and switch between stations with just a few taps.
- Sirius XM supported – With the AVH-3500NEX, you can get all of your favorite SiriusXM programmings without ever having to leave your car. This powerful receiver is SiriusXM-Ready, so you can enjoy more than 140 channels of Ads-free music, plus sports, comedy, news, and more.
- USB Support – It comes with direct connectivity to your iPhone via USB, so you can enjoy your music and videos while on the go. The touchscreen display makes it easy to see what’s playing, and song, artist, time, and album information are all beautifully displayed.
- Full Audio Customization – With features like Auto EQ and Time Alignment, 13-Band Graphic Equalizer, and more, you can fine-tune the sound to your exact specifications. Plus, with built-in FLAC playback capability, you can enjoy your favorite high-res audio files without having to convert them first. Kick back and enjoy the sounds of your own personalized car stereo!
#3. Alpine CDE-172BT – Best Budget Single DIN Head Unit for Sound Quality
The Alpine CDE-172BT is best single DIN Head Unit for sound quality on a budget we tested in 2024.
It offers rock solid Bluetooth connection, 3-band parametric EQ, 24-bit DAC, 6-channel preamp outputs (4V) and amplifier (18 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels).
- You can choose between several colors for the lights, and the display will dim when your headlights are turned on
- Bluetooth works great for both hands free calling and audio streaming
- The installation is quite easy and takes less time compared to other unit
- The display is difficult to read when it’s in direct sunlight.
- Remote controls are not included
- Rock Solid Bluetooth Connection – The CDE-172BT is perfect for anyone who wants the convenience of Bluetooth in their car. With built-in Bluetooth, you can make and receive calls from either of two paired phones, and the included microphone reduces noise interference so your callers can hear you loud and clear. Plus, with this receiver’s built-in sound processing, you’ll get the best sound quality from your streaming music apps or podcasts.
- High Contrast LCD Display with built-in Volume Knob – This model includes variable color illumination, so you can choose the perfect accent color for your car’s interior. The high-contrast LCD display ensures that the screen is always easy to read, even in direct sunlight. Also, this unit comes equipped with Alpine’s signature rotary knob, making it a breeze to control all your music. The front panel auxiliary input allows you or your passenger to plug in a portable media player for even more listening options. Plus, with Alpine quality construction, this stereo will provide years of listening enjoyment.
- Best Sound Quality Experience – This car stereo features 24-Bit DAC playback for superior sound quality, plus a three-band parametric EQ so you can fine-tune your music to your liking. The high pass/low pass crossover lets you manage the frequencies coming from your speakers, making it the perfect stereo for advanced upgrades or replacements.
- Three 4V preamp outs – this stereo is great for building even better sound systems. You can also add the KTP-445A Power Pack amplifier to increase its RMS power from 18 watts x 4 to 45 watts x 4 RMS. This is CEA2006 rated and will give an instantly noticeable upgrade in sound quality for any music lover!
- Sirius XM and Pandora Supported – This receiver features built-in SiriusXM and Pandora capabilities, so you can enjoy your favorite stations and playlists no matter where you go. Plus, the App Direct mode allows you to control and display information from other music apps on your receiver’s screen. The CDE-172BT also includes an AM/FM tuner so you can listen to your favorite radio stations on the go.
- Compatible with Steering Wheel Control – With the Alpine CDE-172BT Car Stereo, you can control all of your music and audio settings right from your steering wheel. This stereo is also compatible with the RUE-4202 Wireless Remote Control, so you can easily change your music options without ever having to take your eyes off the road.
#4. Sony DSX-A410BT – Best Mechless Single DIN Stereo
This unit is great for those who are looking to upgrade their radio to new one under $100.
The stereo offers decent sound quality and allows you to safely make and receive calls while driving and provides easy access to all of your music playback options.
- Easy to install due to its shallow chassis design
- The Bluetooth connects with the phone very quickly
- The built-in equalizer works great
- Comes with high power built-in amplifier which can saves your money for additional addon
- Dual Bluetooth Connection
- Comes with free with Earbuds
- No User Manual Comes in the box of the unit
- Doesn’t support CDs/DVD
- Dual Bluetooth Connection – Sony’s DSX-A410BT features Dual Bluetooth connectivity, so you can easily connect two smartphones at once. This way, you can keep in touch with contacts while driving, listen to music or get directions from your first phone, and make hands-free calls from your second phone.
- Built-in 10-Band Equalizer – The Sony DSX-A410BT gives you total control over your sound. With its 10-band digital equalizer, you can customize the sound to match your personal taste. Plus, the new karaoke mode ensures that vocal tracks are quieted so you can sing along without any distractions. Whether you’re an audiophile or just looking for a little more versatility in your music listening, the Sony DSX-A410BT is sure to please.
- USB input support for both iPhone and Android – This single din head unit lets you play music from your iPhone or iPod with ease. The USB input allows for quick and easy playback, so you can control your music while seeing track information on the display. The professional tone of voice makes this product sound like a must-have for any music lover.
- Built-in High-power amplifier – With its four-channel amplifier and Extra Bass technology, the Sony DSX-A410BT gives you rich, clear sound that’s perfect for any music lover. Whether you’re blasting your favorite songs at full volume or taking your time to appreciate a quiet ballad, this stereo has got you covered. And with FLAC compatibility, you can enjoy even the most subtle notes and nuances of your favorite tracks.
- Easy-to-read Display – This Single Din Stereo is perfect for anyone who wants an easy-to-read screen. With its high contrast and optimized viewing angle, you’ll be able to see everything on the display clearly, whether you’re sitting up close or way in the back. Plus, it comes with all the features you need to get the most out of your music.
- Voice Control support for both iOS and Android – The Sony DSX-A410BT gives you voice control for your Android smartphone, making it easy to get directions, send messages and play tracks. Plus, when you connect your iOS device, you can use Siri Eyes Free to control the music in it.
#5. Alpine UTE-73BT Advanced Bluetooth Digital Media Receiver
Alpine’s UTE-73BT is another one of the best single DIN head unit we tested last year.
This radio gives you the power to customize your hands-free calling experience so you can sound your best.
You can adjust the mic gain, phone output, and ringtone volume, making sure that every call is clear and balanced.
- The 24 Bit DAC and EQ can provide you the best sound quality experience
- Voice commands works great
- Not overly complicated to use
- Works great with the subwoofer
- Most commonly used buttons are small
- Menu controls can be a bit tricky to navigate
- HIGH-CONTRAST LCD Screen – Alpine’s UTE-73BT comes with an LCD display that is easy to read even in direct sunlight. The physical Volume Knob helps to easily find the song you want, whether you’re listening to CDs or streaming music from your phone. And if a friend wants to join in on the fun, just plug in their media player using the front panel auxiliary input.
- Numerous Sound Customization features – This single din car stereo uses a 24-Bit DAC to deliver unparalleled high-quality sound. This unit also comes with a built-in 3 Band parametric EQ and high pass/low crossover that helps you to customize your sound system, while the ability to play FLAC files via USB. With the Alpine UTE-73BT, you’ll enjoy great sound no matter what type of music you’re into.
- Bluetooth Calling Support – You deserve the best of both worlds while driving and now you can have it with the Alpine UTE-73BT car stereo. With its hands-free calling capabilities, you can take calls without having to fumble with your phone. You can also adjust the sound to get just the right balance for you. With Caller ID, you’ll always know who’s calling. Whether listening or taking a call on the UTE-73BT is easy to use.
- Easy to Stream Audio – You want to blast your favorite tunes, but you don’t want to be tethered to your device. With the Alpine UTE-73BT, you can stream music from any Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or tablet. Whether you’re listening to music stored locally on your device, or streaming from a music service like iTunes Match or Spotify, the UTE-73BT provides easy access to all your tunes. Plus, with Android AOA 2.0 support, the UTE-73BT is compatible with even more devices.
- SWC Support – The Alpine UTE-73BT will make your car steering wheel controls a breeze. You can control all of the features on your phone with this handy little unit, and if you need to adjust the volume or skip tracks – just do it without taking off eye contact from the road!
- Compatible with iPhone, iPod – With the Alpine UTE-73BT car stereo, you can control your iPod or iPhone music right from the driver’s seat. The USB connection provides high-quality playback of your music library, so you can enjoy your favorite tunes while on the go.
- Pandora Support – Alpine’s UTE-73BT is the perfect way to control your Pandora experience. No matter which type of smartphone you have, this unit gives you direct access to all your favorite Pandora channels.
#6. BOSS Audio 616UAB – Cheapest Single DIN Radio
- This unit is inexpensive compared to any other single din radios
- Front USB and AUX port
- Built-in Physical Volume Knob
- Super Easy to install
- Average build Quality
- Microphone quality is not that great
- LCD Display – This updated model includes Dimmable Illumination for Buttons and LCD Display, Updated Dancing LED lights, and Added Mute Function. Whether you’re looking to light up your night with some dazzling LEDs or take your music-listening experience to the next level, this unit has got you covered. So grab yourself a 616UAB and see what all the fuss is about!
- Bluetooth Calling Support – The BOSS Audio Systems 616UAB car stereo is the perfect way to keep yourself entertained on your next road trip. With Bluetooth and USB support, you can easily play your favorite music straight from your phone or laptop. The AM/FM radio tuner also lets you stay up-to-date on the latest news, sports, and more.
- AUX – The auxiliary input is perfect for hooking up your MP3 player, while the USB port provides access to a huge library of audio files. The advanced Bluetooth profile support allows you to stream music wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet. And with the built-in microphone, you can make calls hands-free.
- Impressive design – The mech-less design means there’s no CD or DVD required, so you can just plug in your USB drive or SD card and get listening. With Bluetooth capabilities, you can even control the tunes from your smartphone or another device.
Things to Consider Before Buying Single DIN Head Unit
When shopping for the best single din head unit, there are a few thing to consider. Here’s an overview of what matters most!
If you’re not familiar with power ratings, wattage is simply a measurement of electrical potential. This is the amount of energy that can be converted into work (such as turning your speakers). Higher power ratings mean more horsepower to push your speakers beyond their ordinary limits.
Power handling matters – but only to an extent. Many manufacturers inflate power ratings to make their products sound more impressive than they really are.
Most amplifiers can handle about twice as much power as their rated output, so it’s not necessary to purchase an amplifier that uses more power than your head unit is capable of delivering.
Pro Tip: If you’re considering a head unit with a low power rating, be sure to look at the power specifications for the amp(s) you’ll be using. The amplifier’s power rating should be higher than what your head unit is capable of delivering!
With all that in mind, a simple rule of thumb is: Higher power ratings = less distortion and more room to grow.
- Related – How Many Watts is Good For a Car Stereo?
Most head units offer at least two ways to play music. USB drive playback is the most popular, but some head units also have CD players and even cassette drives. If your vehicle doesn’t come with a built-in Bluetooth system, you’ll need to connect an external one using Bluetooth connectivity.
With smartphone compatibility, you can stream music from apps like Spotify or Pandora (with internet connection). This means more sources for your music, on top of whatever is stored on your phone or USB flash drive!
Better Sound Control options
Higher-end receivers come with precision sound controls like digital time correction and parametric equalization to really tweak your tunes. But even lower priced aftermarket stereos will offer more audio control than what you typically find in a factory radio!
It’s not always easy to judge a brand’s quality, but there are big differences in the manufacturing process. Some brands put more care into component selection and production processes. This can be reflected in both build quality and sound quality.
A good single din head unit will have high-quality components that accurately convert electrical signals into sound.
The most important component in a head unit is the digital-to-analog converter (DAC). Without a high-quality DAC, your music won’t sound good no matter how much power you have behind it.
There are lots of additional features you’ll find; built-in amplifiers (BRT), noise and distortion canceling systems, Hi/Lo-pass filters and electronic crossovers for clean separation of frequencies, built in RDS or other tuners.
Below are some question people search before buying the best single DIN Stereo for their car!
What is a single DIN head unit?
A single DIN head unit is a car stereo receiver that occupies a standard installation slot measuring 2″ tall x 7″ wide. Essentially, it’s a compact audio system for your car dash. Think of it as the brains and brawn behind your in-car entertainment!
What features are most important in a single DIN head unit?
Here’s a quick breakdown of key features to consider:
Must-haves for most users:
- Bluetooth connectivity: Essential for hands-free calling and music streaming.
- USB port: Connects smartphones, flash drives, and other devices for music playback and charging.
- Basic audio controls: EQ, fader, balance are crucial for sound customization.
- Compatible with your car: Double-check size and wiring harness requirements.
Nice-to-haves depending on your needs:
- Smartphone integration: Apple CarPlay/Android Auto for seamless phone control and app access.
- Touchscreen: Offers intuitive control and a sleeker look (often pricier).
- Advanced audio features: Subwoofer output, DSP, time alignment for audiophiles.
- Backup camera compatibility: Improves safety and rear visibility.
- Navigation: Built-in or smartphone-powered navigation for convenience.
What kind of audio formats do single DIN head units support?
- AM/FM Radio: All single DIN units support AM/FM radio.
Commonly supported formats:
- CD: Plays standard CDs, and often CD-R/RWs with MP3/WMA files.
- USB: Plays MP3 and WMA files from USB drives. Some may also handle FLAC, WAV, and AAC.
- Auxiliary input: Connects to external devices like smartphones or MP3 players, typically supporting common audio formats they output.
- Bluetooth: Streams audio wirelessly from smartphones and other Bluetooth devices, usually using SBC codec. Some support higher quality codecs like aptX or AAC.
Less common, but increasingly available:
- Apple CarPlay/Android Auto: These smartphone integration platforms allow playing various audio formats supported by the connected phone’s apps.
- HD Radio: Provides digital AM/FM broadcasts with improved sound quality (if available in your area).
Formats rarely supported:
- DVD playback: Only a handful of single DIN units still offer DVD playback.
What is a good budget for a single DIN head unit?
A good budget for a single DIN head unit depends on your priorities and desired features. Here’s a quick breakdown:
Basic features (Bluetooth, USB, radio): $50-$100. This gets you core functionality for playing music and hands-free calling.
More features (touchscreen, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto): $100-$200. This opens up smartphone integration, navigation, and a more modern experience.
Premium features (high-end audio, DSP, advanced EQ): $200+. Expect better sound quality, more customization options, and potential brand prestige.
Remember, installation costs may add $50-$100. Decide which features matter most and shop around to find the best value within your budget.
Can I install a single DIN head unit myself?
Whether you can install a single DIN head unit yourself depends on two key factors: your comfort level with DIY projects and your car’s specific setup.
It’s generally possible, but:
- Basic skills and confidence are helpful. Expect disassembly, wiring, and potentially minor modifications.
- Research your car’s setup first. Some require special kits or have complex wiring arrangements.
- Check online tutorials for your car model. See the involved steps and assess their difficulty.
- Consider complexity factors: Does your car have features like steering wheel controls or factory amplifiers?
- Be honest about your skills. If you’re unsure, seeking professional help might save you time and frustration.
What tools do I need to install a single DIN head unit?
To install a single DIN head unit, you’ll need:**
- Flat blade and Phillips head screwdrivers: Essential for various screw types encountered during disassembly.
- Torx drivers or bits: Not always necessary, but handy for some car models with Torx screws.
- Pry tools: Plastic pry tools are recommended to avoid damaging trim panels during removal.
- Wiring harness adapter: Matches your car’s wiring to the aftermarket head unit, simplifying connections.
- Crimping tool or soldering iron (optional): For advanced connections if not using a harness adapter.
Additional helpful items:
- Trim removal tool kit: Makes prying trim panels easier and minimizes damage.
- Flashlight: Illuminates dark areas behind the dash.
- Multimeter (optional): For troubleshooting electrical connections.
Remember, the specific tools may vary depending on your car model and the chosen head unit.
Do I need to buy a wiring harness for my car?
- If you’re replacing the factory radio with an aftermarket stereo, you’ll almost definitely need a wiring harness to connect the two.
- If you’re installing any other electrical accessories, like new lights or speakers, you might need a wiring harness depending on how complex the installation is.
- If you’re just doing basic maintenance on your car, you probably won’t need a wiring harness.
That’s it our list for the best single din head units! We hope you found this list helpful and that it will make your decision-making process a little bit easier. Remember to consider what features are important to you and which one of these models fits those needs the best. If you have any questions or need more help deciding, don’t hesitate to reach out to us.