In 2024, Apple CarPlay has become an integral part of modern vehicles. It’s a great way to stay connected while on the go, and it makes driving safer and more efficient.
With so many head units available on the market today, it can be hard to choose the best one for your car.
To make your life easy, we’ve done the research and compiled a list of the top 5 Apple CarPlay head units available in 2024, so you can make an informed decision.
From budget-friendly models to advanced features, there’s something for everyone. So, let’s take a look at our top picks and see which one is right for you.
Best Apple CarPlay Head Unit – Our Top 5 Picks Tested and Reviewed
- #1. Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX – Best Wireless Apple CarPlay Stereo
- #2. ATOTO A6 PF – Best Budget Double DIN Apple CarPlay Head Unit
- #3. Sony XAV-AX5500 – Best Single Din Apple CarPlay Stereo
- #4. Kenwood DMX4707S – Best Budget Apple CarPlay Head Unit
- #5. JVC KW-M560BT – Great Option from JVC
- Buyer’s Guide: Things to Keep in Mind While Buying Apple CarPlay Head Unit.
- FAQs Related to Apple CarPlay Head Units
#1. Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX – Best Wireless Apple CarPlay Stereo
|6.8” Capacitive touchscreen
|Wireless (Apple CarPlay & Android Auto)
|4 x 22 watts RMS, 200 Watts Peak
|13 Band EQ, Digital Signal Processor, Time Alignment
|6-channel preamp (4 Volt)
|USB, Dual Backup Camera
|SiriusXM, HD radio, iDatalink Maestro
- Capacitive Touchscreen Display – This double din head unit comes with a 6.8” Capacitive touchscreen display, which offers bright and color images, also the touch response of this stereo is sensitive.
- Wireless Apple CarPlay, Android Auto – The Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX is a great head unit that allows you to use Apple Carplay, Android Auto Wireless, or Amazon Alexa. With a wireless connection or a wired connection through USB, the DMH-W4660NEX is compatible with many different devices.
- Built-in 13 Band EQ – The Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX gives you the power to fine-tune your sound like never before. With its 13-band graphic equalizer and other sound tools, you can create an audio experience that’s perfect for your ears. Plus, with three sets of preamp outputs, you can easily add more amps for even more power.
- HD Radio Tuner – The HD Radio tuner lets your listen with improved clarity and detail from AM/FM frequencies; add in a SiriusXM receiver so that all their programming can be accessed by simply plugging it into the rear USB input – there’s even space dedicated just for those high resolution FLAC or DSD files if music is what really turns us off during our commute hours!
- Great Bluetooth Connection – The Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX lets you keep your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road while you make calls. With Bluetooth, you can easily stream music, podcasts, and audiobooks too.
- iDatalink Maestro Compatible – It offers compatibility with the iDatalink Maestro module (not included), which lets you keep your factory features intact. Plus, the wide selection of compatible vehicles makes it easy to find one that will work for your car.
- Phone swapping – With phone swapping, you can easily plug in the phone you want to use without having to choose a particular input or adjust menu settings. Plus, with built-in Amazon Alexa, you can access music, audiobooks, news, weather, traffic, and smart home controls using your voice.
- Dual Backup Camera input – With the additional input, you can easily add a second camera and get a better view of what’s happening around your car. Whether you need to keep an eye on your tow vehicle or just want an alternate rearview, this product is perfect for you.
- Responsive Touchscreen Display
- Wireless Apple CarPlay works perfectly and connects with-in seconds
- Simple and Easy to Use Interface
- The sound quality is clear and loud , also there are multiple settings available to customize the audio.
- No Physical Volume knob
- The touch buttons are also tiny, so it’s optimal to use a steering wheel control with this receiver.
#2. ATOTO A6 PF – Best Budget Double DIN Apple CarPlay Head Unit
- This head unit offers great sound quality with tons of features of customize the sound such as equalizer bass boost.
- The price of this unit is comparatively lower than other model.
- You will get backup camera, mic and installation kit the stereo.
- Installation is easy, take less than 1 hour.
|7-inch HD 5-Touch Capacitive Touchscreen
|Wireless (Apple CarPlay, Android Auto)
|200 Watts max Power, and 4 x 29 watts RMS
|32 Band Graphic Equalizer, DSP with Time Correction
Here’s why it stands out from the competition:
- 7-inch Full HD Display – The intuitive Full HD display makes it easy to navigate even while driving, and the capacitive touch screen ensures responsive control. With built-in phone mirroring and integration link capabilities, this unit lets you make calls, access your music, and control other smartphone functions without ever having to take your eyes off the road.
- Built-in Navigation system – The ATOTO A6 PF 2 is the perfect GPS/Navigation device for all of your needs. With its built-in GPS Receiver and external antenna, you’ll never lose your way again. Plus, with Google Maps installed as the default map application, navigating anywhere is a breeze. And if you prefer another navigation app, no problem! The Google Play Store has tons of great options to choose from.
- Easy installation – This model is universal, so it can be installed in any vehicle. Plus, it comes with all the necessary accessories to get you up and running in no time. Whether you’re a music lover or a movie buff, the ATOTO A6 PF is sure to please.
- Additional Features – ATOTO A6 PF has many other features such as DSP technology for the best sound quality; 4-channel 50W x 4 power amplifier, 6-line 2V pre-outs, rear USB port for iPod connection; dual Bluetooth connection.
- Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto – As we discussed above, this double DIN apple carplay head unit comes with wireless CarPlay/Android Auto , which enables you to use your iPhone/Android phone while driving safely. This head unit supports running CarPlay map navigation while playing FM/AM radio/USB music in the background, which is really convenient for users. You can use voice commands to make calls, play music, send messages, get directions, and more. This makes it easier and safer to stay connected while driving.
- The display of this head unit is responsive and offers full HD resolution which you don’t get from any other stereo
- Bluetooth connection is reliable and connects easily and quickly
- Fantastic sound quality and noise cancelling aspect
- Don’t need special steering wheel control adapter to make controls work
- Budget Friendly
- Great Customer support
- Limited color options for illuminated buttons
- Confusing instruction manual
#3. Sony XAV-AX5500 – Best Single Din Apple CarPlay Stereo
- If you’re looking for the best single din Apple CarPlay head unit, then you need to check out the Sony XAV-AX5500. This stereos has a 6.95″ large touchscreen display, easy-to-use interface, and stellar sound quality with tons of features to customize the sound quality.
|10 Band Graphic
|5 Channel (5 volt front, rear and subs)
|220 Watts Max Power & 4 x 20 watts RMS
|Dual rear USB, rear-view camera input
- Single Din Touchscreen Display– The Sony XAV-AX5500 offers a 6.95-inch touchscreen display, making it one of the largest single din head units on the market. Handy buttons for quick control, and a compact chassis that makes installation very convenient, this unit has everything you need to stay entertained on the road.
- Superior Sound Quality – When it comes to sound quality, the XAV-AX5500 doesn’t disappoint. It offers 4 x 55W of power, as well as built-in amplifiers for an even better sound. And, if you’re looking to add some extra bass, there’s also a subwoofer output.
- Compact Design – This sleek unit doesn’t have a disc player, but that’s actually its advantage: its compact design means it can fit into spaces other receivers can’t. And with its large 7″ screen, the XAV-AX5500 is perfect for anyone who wants all their music at their fingertips.
- Easy to Use -The stereo’s controls behave just like your phone’s interface, so there is no learning curve. Plus it comes with everything you need – all that has to be plugged into an Android or iPhone device! You’ll get access not only navigation on demand but also calls and messages through the music player app as well- making this car even smarter than most cars today already are!.
- 10 Band Graphic Equalizer – This receiver features a 10-band graphic equalizer and Dynamic Stage Organizer (DSO) to create virtual speakers on your dash, giving you an improved soundstage.
- Dual USB – This amazing unit features two USB inputs, so you can keep your phone charged and access your files on the go. It also supports FLAC audio files and a variety of video formats, making it perfect for any media lover.
- 5 volt Preamp Outs – The XAV-AX5000 includes 5-volt front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs, making it easy to add amplifiers to your system. Plus, with its clear and natural sound, the Sony XAV-AX5500 is sure to impress.
- Easy Installation due to premade wiring harness
- Great Display and Sound Quality
- Numerous settings to customize the audio such as low pass, high pass and custom EQ
- Physical Volume and skip buttons
- No option to change the wallpaper or order of icons on Home Screen
- The Price is little higher than other head units
#4. Kenwood DMX4707S – Best Budget Apple CarPlay Head Unit
|6.75-Inch Capacitive Touchscreen
|200 Watts Peak Power, 4 x 21 watts RMS
|13-band graphic EQ, Drive EQ, Bass boost and loudness controls
|Wired USB (CarPlay, Android Auto)
- 6.8″ LCD Touchscreen – With its fixed 6.8″ widescreen capacitive touchscreen LCD, you’ll enjoy a high contrast ratio, crystal clear display, and vivid text. Plus, the capacitive touchscreen LCD provides a highly responsive touchscreen so you can easily control your music, phone calls, and more.
- Voice Control – This multimedia receiver offers an intuitive voice controlled interface, large touchscreen monitor, and superior sound quality. You can also use the Mirroring OA for Kenwood app to mirror the content from your Android smartphone onto the touchscreen display. With Google Maps or Waze, you’ll be able to navigate to where you need to go with ease.
- Backup Camera Support – The Kenwood DMX4707S is a great head unit for those who want to improve their safety while driving. The rear view camera input with parking guide lines makes backing up much easier and safer.
- Built-in EQ – 13 band graphic EQ and time alignment allows you to customize the sound quality to your own preferences. With this apple carplay head unit, you can have a great driving experience while keeping yourself and your passengers safe.
- Phone mirroring – With True Mirroring via USB, you can easily see and control your phone right on the screen of the head unit. Plus, it comes with SiriusXM Radio so you can access additional music, sports and entertainment content while on the go. And if that wasn’t enough, the DMX4707S also supports FLAC files and Full HD video playback from USB devices! So whether you’re looking to keep yourself entertained on long road trips or just want easier access to your music and videos, this is the perfect product for you.
- Touchscreen is quite sensitive
- Great Display color and Resolution
- The backup camera supports adjustable parking lines
- Built-in equalizer, crossover.
- Shallow Chassis size, some space will be left behind the unit for adapter when installing
- Installation takes time
- No Physical Volume Knobs. It is recommended to use a steering wheel remote with this unit, in order to avoid distraction.
#5. JVC KW-M560BT – Great Option from JVC
|6.75-Inch Capacitive Touhscreen
|180 Watts Peak Power, 4 x 16 watts RMS
|2 Volt (5 Channel: front, rear and mono subs)
|Wired (CarPlay, Android Auto),
|13-Band EQ, Drive EQ, Bass boost and loudness controls
- Large Capacitive Display – The large 6.75” capacitive screen provides a clear view of what’s on the screen, while also being responsive to your touch. Plus, the shallow mounting depth makes it perfect for newer vehicles with smaller radio cavities.
- Compatible with Apple CarPlay & Auto – It features both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto so users can choose which platform suits them best while they drive without worrying about getting lost because there’s no need! Plus, thanks to its compatibility across multiple devices.
- Safe Driving via Bluetooth Hands free – The Bluetooth audio and hands-free calling lets you keep your phone safely tucked away while you’re driving, and the MP3 player means you can take your tunes with you wherever you go.
- Built-in EQ – The 13-band EQ ensures that your music always sounds its best, and the SiriusXM radio gives you access to tons of great programming. The AM/FM car radio rounds out this impressive package.
- Time Alignment – This JVC head unit comes with time alignment options and premade presets to help you fine-tune your sound. Plus, it’s compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls so you can keep your hands on the wheel. And if you want to really crank up the volume, the built-in amp provides (21 watts RMS, 45 watts peak) x 4 channels of power.
- Affordable Price
- Easy to read Display
- Built-in Equalizer settings
- Touchscreen is responsive and works great Support Phone mirroring feature
- NO Physical Buttons.
- The OS is little slow compared to other units No automatic dimming
Buyer’s Guide: Things to Keep in Mind While Buying Apple CarPlay Head Unit.
Why would you want a new radio? Well, these things do an awful lot. They power your speakers and can give a bigger sound with more power to play music through them or make calls on the phone while driving safer by integrating both features into one device!
It is important to make sure your double-din head unit has a high resolution screen. With more pixels, the image will look clearer and sharper when viewing angles are corrected for size as well! It’s also essential that these screens respond quickly so there isn’t any lag time between touches or movements on interface elements like menus which require quick reactions from drivers behind the wheel.
In addition – don’t let glare off road conditions stop you either because many expensive models have been designed with element protection in mind anyway possible.
One major thing to check when shopping for your car audio system is the connectivity options. You should have both USB and wireless capabilities so that you can easily connect any smartphone or tablet with ease, especially if it’s not in- Arduous position while driving!
Look for an AM/FM radio
This means that this head unit will provide the basic functions of listening to the radio but it won’t have any other features. If you really want a radio with extra features, you may have to buy two separate units.
Wireless Apple CarPlay
Wireless connectivity is what makes the head unit system stand out from others on this list, and it’s also one of the main features that sets it apart from its competitors. With a simple tap on your phone or tablet you can connect with your favorite songs or radio station for listening anywhere in range (up to 50 feet). The built-in USB port allows users to charge their device while they’re enjoying themselves too!
The another thing you should look out for is how quickly it can be turned on and ready to use. Most of the aftermarket head units take 10 – 50 seconds to boot.
Some stereos are better looking than others. If looks matter to you, consider what kind of design would go best with the rest of your car.
It’s always good if your carplay head unit has some kind of warranty; this means that if anything happens to it, you can have it mended for free.
FAQs Related to Apple CarPlay Head Units
Which stereo has wireless CarPlay?
The Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX is compatible with wireless Apple CarPlay, which means that you can connect your iPhone to the head unit and have all of your music come through the speakers wirelessly. This is great for those who want their phone’s screen instead of being stuck in one position on a cup holder or dashboard!
What is the cheapest Apple CarPlay radio?
The Kenwood DMX4707S is the cheapest Apple CarPlay radio on this list. It’s also one of the few that has built-in Bluetooth, so you can connect your phone to make and take hands-free calls or stream music without an additional purchase.
How much does it cost to install Apple CarPlay?
The average cost to install Apple CarPlay is between $200 to $400. However, this price can vary depending on the make and model of your vehicle, as well as the location of the installation. For example, installing Apple CarPlay in a luxury vehicle may cost more than installing it in a less expensive car. Additionally, some independent car stereo shops may charge less for installation than a dealership.
How much is CarPlay installation at Best Buy?
CarPlay installation at Best Buy typically costs around $70 to $100. The price may vary depending on the make and model of your vehicle. You can schedule an appointment with a Best Buy Auto Center to get a more accurate estimate for your particular vehicle.